Hello, Axiom! 👋
I’m Frankie Winters, a generalist maker, designer, and developer in North Portland. I might be your new Construction Project Manager!
I am a skilled fabricator and have the planning and communications chops that a Project Manager needs to succeed.
I have a managerial background 🧐, experience managing client relationships 😘, and a track record of delivering projects on time and budget 📈.
Below are recent projects I selected to share with you. I believe they demonstrate some of the know-how required get ideas off the drawing board and into the real world.
Click through to read more. You’ll find original sketches and build galleries, discussions about solving constraints, some of my notes on managing client expectations, and more.
Belt one out behind the wheel of this custom prop with realistic lights and detailed dash.
Three super lightweight twelve-foot-wide hanging backdrops with repositionable letters.
I wanted to make a sign that looked like a single slab of plywood, but was internally lit. This lightweight, hollow-core design is meant for hanging against a window.
Sixty-four square feet of rack with precision notches for hanging bottles by the neck.
Design, Construction, and Finishing Four 4′×8′ Reusable Background Flats
A seven-foot tall prop with weathered metal and marble effects as well as a microcontroller-fueled flame effect.
- I’m an experienced fabricator, wood- and metalworker. I’ve worked on everything from custom aircraft to Amish buggies. I use my skills in digital fabrication, painting, sculpture, molding and casting, upholstery, and more to bring practical projects to life.
- I have a principled eye for design and can back up my decisions with well-considered arguments. I embrace feedback, and believe in the power of iteration and of constraints.
- I’m a self-taught web, macOS, and iOS programmer who loves learning new languages. Two of my apps have been featured by Apple.
- Fabrication & Repair ★★★★
- Digital Design & Illustration ★★★★
- Sculpture and Propmaking ★★★
- Lighted Signs ★★★★
- Logos and Icons ★★★
- Digital Typography ★★★
- Electrical & Electronics ★★★
- Painting & Hand Lettering ★★★
- Wood & Metalworking ★★★
- Safety Procedures & OSHA ★★
Winters Design – 2007-NOW
Digital Fabrication, Props, Displays, and Trade Show Exhibits. Design and Fabrication, Owner and Operator.
Peter Corvallis Productions – 2015-CURRENT CLIENT
Design of custom, original stage and event props. Signs and Lettering. Estimation and bidding. Prop fabrication and repair. Workshop management.
Indie Software Developer – Plow Software – 2009-2013
CSS3Machine, a CSS animation and effects generator for iPad, earned a rave review in MacStories and was listed in the App Store’s “New & Noteworthy” section. Wordsmith, a semantic word processor, got top billing on the Mac App Store and was one of the first apps to embrace iCloud.
Exotic & Custom Car Builder – Dura Flex, Street Emotion – 1997-2005
I’ve built street rods, muscle cars, motorcycles, show-winners and antiques. I assembled drivetrain, suspension, paint & bodywork, upholstery, electrical & stereo installation, and final assembly. Sometimes I honked the horn, too.
Auto Parts Store Management – CSK Auto and Autozone — 1998-2008
Team Recruitment and Training, Inventory Management and Bookkeeping, Merchandizing. Occasionally actually sold parts for old cars.
I’m proud of the work shown here, but I want to take on projects bigger in scope and impact. I’ve admired the Axiom’s work for years. I’d like to be part of making more.
I’d love to talk to you more about the position at Axiom.